Creamy Ham Bone and Potato Soup
· 1 ham bone
· 1.5 pounds thick cut ham meat cubed
· 6 bacon strips thinly diced
· 5 russet potatoes
· 1 large onion diced
· 8 garlic cloves minced
· 2 32 oz chicken stock
· 2 cups water
· 1 ½ cups heavy cream
· ¾ cup sour cream
· 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
· ½ cup all purpose flour
· ½ cup olive oil
· 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon paste
· 4 bay leaves
· 1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
· Salt to taste
1. Start by boiling the potatoes in a small pot with a pinch of salt. In a pan fry the bacon.
2. In another steep pot, add the onions and garlic with a tablespoon of olive oil and allow to sweat. Add the ham bone, cover with the chicken broth and two cups of water.
3. Add in the chicken bouillon, bay leaves, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme and rosemary. Turn to medium low heat and allow to simmer for 2-4 hours. The longer the better.
4. Strain potatoes from boiling water, add to a blender along with 2 cups of chicken broth and blend until smooth. Add this to the pot along with the olive oil, heavy cream, all-purpose flour, cubed ham meat and allow to simmer for 45 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. To finish, add the sour cream, cheddar cheese, ½ of the bacon and mix well. Taste and add salt to taste. Serve with more cheddar cheese, fresh green onions and the rest of the bacon.